Friday, January 06, 2012

Watching the waves roll in


Don't get wet
Ft. Lauderdale, FL, December 2011

We've been away for a bit, as the ebb and flow of life over the past year made some quiet time pretty much mandatory for us all. We should be pulling into the driveway right around the time this post hits the blog - the wonders of modern technology.

While we were gone, I sat beside the ocean and stared at it for seemingly endless periods of time. Every once in a while, I'd pick up my camera and take a picture. Or two. Or two hundred. It depended on my mood, which became a lot mellower the more I did this. I also mellowed as I watched our kids recharge their own batteries. They're good souls, so much like my wife that it scares me sometimes. But not too much. Either way, it was good to spend copious amounts of unstructured time with them.

I don't know when we'll be able to do this again. Life's ebb and flow gets less clear the further out you look. But we'll always have moments like this - captured by a lens or our own mind - to refer back to when things seem a little darker than we'd like.

Your turn: How do you recharge?

4 comments:

MorahMommy said...

It was was a wonderful vacation. Not really ready to get back to reality, so I'm glad we have the weekend. We'll plan another one, soon!

Luv u! Xo

kenju said...

I thought that's where you might be - at the ocean. I like to recharge there too, but there is less and less possibility of that for us. Getting old is the pits.

21 Wits said...

Your post reminds me of a trip we took to Vero Beach for my nieces wedding...even when all of us girls were getting our hair and nails done I did not, as the draw of the ocean I would soon have to leave was pulling me in....It just had so much to show me.....so you have my answer...the ocean (most bodies of water) recharge me!

Lisa Shafer said...

Wow. What a gorgeous shot!